Scoon & Hood’s was a tweed manufacturing company, which grew out of Barrie & Scoon. Their main premises were the Teviotdale Mills, at the corner of Commercial Road and Albert Road. Teviotdale Mills were erected in 1877 by James Melrose, for woollen manufacturer Greenwood, Watt & Co. This partnership extended to build Howlands Mill on nearby Victoria Road in the early 1880s. They moved out of Teviotdale Mills in 1888, and suﬀered during the manufacturing decline of the 1910s, eventually selling Howlands Mill to Sime, Williamson & Co.
Rival firm Scoon & Barrie took over production at the Teviotdale Mills and lasted into the 1930s as Scoon & Hood’s. It was then operated for a time by the nearby firm Innes & Henderson. Into the 20th century, the building became a garage for the prolific East Scotland company Croall Bryson Ltd. Today the mills are home to several units, including William Lockie & Company Ltd’s knitwear store.