The town’s first purpose-built Post Office was opened at 27 High Street in 1880, but was soon deemed inadequate as the local population increased. A new building was commissioned on the site of JED Murray’s photography studio in North Bridge Street, designed by James Pearson Alison and funded by James Oliver of Thornwood.
The new building was erected as a single storey building in 1891, at a cost of £2,402. A foundation stone was ceremoniously laid by Oliver’s wife, Jane Rutherford, with a silver trowel (her husband owned the land here). The second storey was added to the northern end in 1904 for accommodation. This is marked with stone carved plaques inscribed ‘ER’ and ‘1904’ to a raised three bay section. The building has been much altered over the years.
Hawick sorting oﬃce moved to the auld Drill Hall in Dovecote Street and once again to Saint George’s Lane in the late 1970s. The Royal Mail vacated the North Bridge Street premises entirely in 1993. The single storey section was converted to become Stampers Bar and later became the new premises of the Conservative Club, whilst the two-storey section became the Shabab Tandoori (now Saffron). The town’s Post Oﬃce relocated to Safeway, which itself closed in 2004. Since that time Hawick has been served by franchised sub-offices at the Sandbed and Kenilworth Avenue.