The Hawick Paper

Nostalgia & Local History

Linden Park

Linden Park

Linden Park house was built for Walter Laing of Dicksons & Laings Mills, and used to be sited just off the Denholm road (past Trow Mill). An ancient burial cairn was dug out when laying the foundations. Building work began in…

Read More ..
1514 and the Battle of Hornshole

1514 and the Battle of Hornshole

Hawick’s cultural epoch can arguably be traced back to 1514, when the settlement’s young men or ‘Callants’ were called to arms to defeat a marauding band of English invaders. After the Battle of Flodden the previous year, around a third…

Read More ..
Scoon & Hood’s

Scoon & Hood’s

Scoon & Hood’s was a tweed manufacturing company, which grew out of Barrie & Scoon. Their main premises were the Teviotdale Mills, at the corner of Commercial Road and Albert Road. Teviotdale Mills were erected in 1877 by James Melrose,…

Read More ..
Holland House

Holland House

Holland House began life as (John) Graham’s Hotel in 1869, at 7 Back Raw. It was the location for the inaugural meeting of Hawick Burns Club in 1878. In 1885 it was renamed Holland House after the Dutch wool merchants that once lodged there. Thomas Graham was…

Read More ..
A Hawick railway relic

A Hawick railway relic

This wonderful wooden outlay survived the demolition of Hawick South signal box in 1975 and is currently housed at the Bo’ness and Kinneil Railway heritage centre. Iain MacIntosh: The Scottish Railway Preservation Society took it for safe keeping and display. At the…

Read More ..